Westchester County, located in the scenic Hudson valley, is rich in African American history and offers a variety of ways for families of all cultural backgrounds to experience the contributions men and women of African descent have made to the American experience.
Among the ways we recognize the African American journey here in Westchester are through historical landmarks that date back to the 17th century. Sites on the African American Trail enhance our appreciation for the significant legacies woven into the fabric of our county.
Click here for more information on Westchester County’s African American Advisory Board.
- Monument to First Rhode Island Regiment
First Presbyterian Church (Burial Grounds)
2880 Crompond Road, Yorktown Heights | (914) 245-2186
Erected in 1982 as a result of the pioneering research and activism of Mr. John H. Harmon, this monument is dedicated to the valiant and courageous soldiers of the First Rhode Island Regiment, which was composed predominately of enslaved African American soldiers who had enlisted in the American Continental Army to earn their freedom. During the American Revolution, these men fought courageously to defend American liberty against the aggressions of British tyranny.
- Philipse Manor Hall, State Historic Site
29 Warburton Avenue at Dock Street, Yonkersparks.ny.gov
Apr. – Oct. | Tues. – Sat. | 12 – 5pm
Nov. – Mar. | Tues. – Sat. | 12 – 4pm
Groups year round; Call for appointment; Closed holidays.
Adults $5, students and seniors $3, children under 12 free.
Philipse Manor Hall, listed in the National Register of Historic Places, was a major component of the original Philipsburg Manor and served as its Lower Mill complex.
As masters of Philipsburg Manor, Frederick Philipse and his wife Margaret Hardenbrock were Westchester\'s premier examples of 17th-century large-scale New York slaveholders. They were deeply involved in both slave trading and slaveholding.
Until the Revolutionary War, several generations of the Philipse family were leading merchants in New York\'s commercial life. The records of their business and lives indicate that enslaved Africans were vital to their success and the development of Westchester.
The Philipses\' global commercial activities placed Westchester at the center of the “Golden Circuit,” better known as the TransAtlantic and Indian Ocean slave trade to the West Indies, America and Europe.
In addition, Philipse Manor Hall, is unveiling a new exhibit in three phases, focusing on local immigrant history. "Yonkers a City of New Beginnings," explores the impact various immigrant groups have made on the rich history of this diverse city.
- John Jay Homestead State Historic Site
400 Jay Street/Route 22, Katonah | (914) 232-5651 or (914) 232-8119johnjayhomestead.org
Group tours by appointment.
May 1 – Oct. 15 | Wed. – Sun.:
House Tours, 1 – 4pm | Discovery Centers, 10am – 3pm
Oct. 16 – Apr. 30 | Thurs. – Sun.:
House Tours, 1pm – 3pm | Discovery Centers, closed
Grounds open year round, 8am – 6pm, with free admission.
Adults $7, students/seniors $5, children under 12 free
After growing up in the Westchester community of Rye, Founding Father John Jay established a homestead for himself and his family in the northern Westchester community of Bedford. Enslaved and free Africans lived and worked at Jay properties in Bedford, New York City, Albany, Fishkill and Rye throughout the 18th and early 19th centuries.
John Jay Homestead is a National Historic Landmark and is operated by the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. The Education and Visitor Center includes a main exhibit gallery with a welcome desk and gift shop, a map-model of the property, computer kiosks with exhibit content, and period news magazines featuring articles relevant to John Jay's life. A 2011 addition to the building features a video viewing area, and an activity center with a replica governess's cart, similar to one the Jay children rode in, and discovery boxes full of interesting items. Around the corner in the horse stalls, visitors can see realistic models of horses and experience a sound and light show emphasizing the importance of horses to the Jay family and Bedford Farm.
- Jay Heritage Center
210 Boston Post Road, Rye | (914) 698-9275jayheritagecenter.org
Jay Mansion (Free Admission)
Jun. 1 – Sept. 30 | Sun. | 2 – 5pm
Other times by appointment.
Carriage House Visitor Center (Free Admission)
Jun. 1 – Sept. 30 | Wed. – Fri. | 10am – 4pm
Oct. 1 – May 31 | Tues. – Fri. | 10am – 5pm
The Jay Heritage Center occupies the site of the childhood home of Founding Father John Jay. It was also the home of several generations of people, both free and enslaved, who worked for the Jays.
John Jay was a founder and past president of the Manumission Society of New York, which advocated abolition and established schools to educate free African Americans. As governor of New York, Jay signed the Gradual Emancipation Act into law in 1799. The Rye farm remained a place of refuge for Jay throughout his public career.
His son, Peter Augustus Jay, was profoundly anti-slavery and also served as president of the Manumission Society. As a delegate to the New York Constitutional Convention of 1821, he called for the extension of suffrage to African Americans in one of the most eloquent speeches of the convention.
In 1838 Peter Augustus Jay built a magnificent Greek Revival mansion on the site of his father's boyhood home.
- Stony Hill Cemetery
Buckout Road, Harrisonwestchesterhistory.com
Open to the public
Post-Revolutionary War emancipated slaves settled in the rough and stony hills where Harrison, North Castle and White Plains meet near Silver Lake. Their community, also known as “The Hills,” was evidence of an emerging free African American class in early Westchester County.
The community's presence and involvement in county life is recorded in various documents, as many of its residents were literate and left records of their world view in the form of letters and poems to family members.
Stony Hill Cemetery is the last remaining identifiable element of “The Hills.” The property on which the 6.5 acre cemetery sits was part of a land grant given by the Purchase Friends (Quakers) to slaves they voluntarily freed in the 18th century. Approximately 200 of “The Hills” residents and several African American Civil War veterans are buried in the cemetery.
Today, the area is surrounded by residential development. Mt. Hope AME Zion Church in White Plains and the Stony Hill Cemetery Committee serve as the stewards of this historic site and represent the voice for one of the first free black communities in this country.
The committee honors fallen heroes through beautification efforts and ongoing research of the site's history.
- Foster Memorial AME Zion Church
90 Wildey Street, Tarrytown | (914) 631-2002www.nps.gov
Open to the public
Amanda and Henry Foster, Rev. Jacob Thomas, and Hiram Jimerson founded Foster Memorial African Methodist Episcopal AME Zion Church, a stop on the Underground Railroad, in Tarrytown in 1860. Amanda Foster, born in Albany in 1807, is considered the “Mother of the Church.” She was the driving force in the formation of the congregation, whose first meetings were held in her Tarrytown confectionery. In possession of her “free papers,” documents that permitted African Americans prior to the abolishment of slavery to freely travel, Amanda obtained employment as a nurse to the children of the governor of Arkansas. While in Arkansas, she contributed to the Underground Railroad movement by using her “free papers” to help a young fugitive slave girl escape. Foster moved back to New York in 1837. During the Civil War, members of Foster AME helped provide food and shelter to fugitive slaves escaping to Canada.
Like most AME Zion churches, Foster AME Zion was and still is a religious and social crossroads for the African American community, providing a meeting place for worship and a place for public interaction and service. In 1982, the Church was listed in the National Register of Historic Places. It was recognized as a Westchester County Tricentennial Historic Site in 1983.
- The Neuberger Museum of Art
735 Anderson Hill Road, Purchase | (914) 251-6100www.neuberger.org
Tues. – Sun., 12pm – 5pm
Adults $5, students and seniors $3, children under 12 free and free for all visitors the first Sat. of every month.
African art has been an integral part of the Neuberger Museum of Art since it opened in 1974. In 1999, the collection almost doubled in size with the major gift of 153 works from the collection of the late Lawrence Gussman, a notable collector and a resident of Scarsdale, New York. Gussman's interest in Africa began in 1957 when he met Dr. Albert Schweitzer at his hospital in Labaréné (Gabon).
The collection is strongest in the arts of central Africa. However, major objects offer artistic insights into more than 30 cultures and span a geographic area from Mali to Mozambique the impressive collection includes: a rare Dogon shutter (Mali), a Mumuye figure (Nigeria), an eroded wooden Senufo figure (Mali/Côte d'Ivoire) and a Zulu hat (South Africa) distinguished by its shape.
- Villa Lewaro
Fargo Lane and North Broadway, Irvington
Madam C.J. Walker, born Sarah Breedlove, was the daughter of enslaved parents. She invented, patented, and brilliantly marketed hair and cosmetics for women of color. Walker's success made her one of America's first black millionaires. In 1916, Madam Walker commissioned the design and construction of Villa Lewaro.
The mansion is an astounding testimony to the genius of Vertner W. Tandy, New York's first certified black architect. The 32-room mansion includes exquisite stained-glass windows, vaulted ceilings, marble staircases, and intricate ceiling moldings.
Villa Lewaro was placed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. In the1990s, the mansion was to be demolished to redevelop the property but lobbying by preservationists saved it. An African American entrepreneur later purchased the mansion and restored it to its former splendor.
- African Cemetery
Accessed through Greenwood Union Cemetery, North St., Ryewww.townofryeny.com
Open to the public
The African Cemetery was established in Rye when its site was deeded to the town on June 27, 1860, by Underhill and Elizabeth Halsted, “(to) be forever after kept and used for the purposes of a cemetery or burial place for the colored inhabitants of the said Town of Rye and its vicinity free and clear of any charge therefore.” In the latter part of his life, Underhill Halsted became a fervent follower of the Methodist movement, which was profoundly opposed to slavery. However, being anti-slavery did not mean one was not prejudiced. Such bias led African Americans to separate from the Methodist church and from their own Methodist organization, African Methodist Episcopal Zion or AME Zion. The presence of two AME Zion churches in nearby Mamaroneck and Port Chester could have also motivated Halsted to gift the cemetery to local free persons of color.
The cemetery includes carved and dressed grave stones, with 35 indicating that a war veteran is interred. African American veterans of the Civil War through World War II are buried here. One such soldier was World War I veteran Francis M. Husted, buried in 1947. A former laborer, he was a member of the 370th Colored Regiment, the only unit in the U.S. Army with a full complement of African American officers from colonel to lieutenant. This unit was called the “Black Devils” by the Germans because of their courage and the “Partridges” by the French because of their proud bearing.
In 1983 the African Cemetery was listed as a Westchester County Tercentennial Historic Site, and in 2003 it was listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
- Philipsburg Manor
Route 9, Sleepy Hollow | Mon. – Fri. (914) 366-6900www.hudsonvalley.org
Weekends (914) 631-3992
Early May – mid-Nov. | Wed. – Sun.
Timed tours only | 10:30am – 3pm | Sat. – Sun., 3:30pm
Adults $12, seniors $10, children 3 – 17 $6, under 3 free; add $2 if tickets are not purchased online.
Philipsburg Manor, a property of Historic Hudson Valley, is a nationally significant late 17th and early 18th century milling and trading complex that was part of a vast 52,000-acre estate owned by the Anglo-Dutch Philipse family. Enslaved individuals of African descent operated the commercial center of the estate in what is now the village of Sleepy Hollow.
Today, costumed interpreters demonstrate and talk about various aspects of colonial life that affected the culture and economy of those who lived and labored at Philipsburg Manor. The interpreters offer regular performances of vignettes dramatizing aspects of African slavery. In addition, the site offers popular school programs and a lively calendar of special events. Visitors experience hands-on tours of the water-powered gristmill, manor house, barn, activity center, and slave garden. The visitor center includes a shop and cafe.
- St. Paul's Church National Historic Site
897 South Columbus Avenue, Mount Vernon | (914) 667-4116nps.gov/sapa
July – Dec. | Tues. – Sat. | 9am–5pm
Jan. – Jun. | Mon. – Fri. | 9am–5pm
The second Sat. of each month | Noon–4pm
St. Paul's Church, completed in 1787, was located in Eastchester, later considered part of Mount Vernon. Built along the old Boston Post Road, it rested in the midst of farmhouses and taverns.
The earliest reference to African Americans in Eastchester appears in the town records dated April 23, 1672. The entry records the sale of a “Negro woman” to Samuel Adams of Fairfield, Connecticut by Moses Hoitte.
The church and taverns were the center of community life. Many of the 9,000 interred in the cemetery are persons of African descent buried here in the 19th and 20th centuries. The church records at St. Paul's include the sexton's book and burial records denoting the race of those entered into the historic graveyard.
- The Friends Meeting House
420 Quaker Road, Chappaqua | (914) 238-3170www.chappaquafriends.org
Open Sun. | 10:30am – noon or by appointment
The Chappaqua Friends Meeting House, circa 1753, is the oldest Quaker meeting house standing in Westchester County. In the early 1750s, members of the Society of Friends, or Quakers, began to challenge the morality of slavery in colonial New York. In 1767, the Purchase community of Friends decreed that it was forbidden for its members to own slaves, stating that “[it] is not consistent with Christianity to buy or sell our fellow men for slaves.” The Society of Friends resolved that all of its members should release their slaves and seek to provide them with the means to support themselves and their families. The Quaker opposition to slavery served as a primary catalyst in its abolition in post-revolutionary New York.
- Ella Fitzgerald Statue
Yonkers Metro-North Railroad Station Plaza
5 Buena Vista Avenue, Yonkers
Dubbed “The First Lady of Song,” Ella Fitzgerald was the most popular female jazz singer in the United States for more than half a century. As an African American woman, she experienced not only the adulation of this country, but also some of its most hideous and persistent moral defects.
Raised in Yonkers, Ella lived and worked at a time when, for her, entrances to most white-owned clubs were through the back door. She literally conquered the bigoted, the insensitive, and the racist with love through song while serving as an ambassador for both music and our country.
African American artist Vinnie Bagwell created this bronze statue entitled “The First Lady of Jazz Ella Fitzgerald” in her honor in 1996. It stands next to the Metro-North station in Yonkers.
- Where to Stay
Whether you seek the charms of a historic castle or the chic ambiance of an ultra-modern hotel, Westchester can accommodate you. Bed and breakfasts, luxury lodging and budget hotels provide just the right place to stay and play. We can help plan events such as family reunions and meetings, too.Westchester Hotel List
For complete hotels/accommodations information visit visitwestchesterny.com